Congratulations and the arrival or the upcoming arrival of your new baby!
Your little one will change so much in his or her early months. A newborn session will allow you to capture those sweet newborn details so that you can keep those memories to treasure always.
Below are a few helpful tips that I have put together to ensure our shoot goes smoothly and as stress free and enjoyable as possible for both baby and parents. :)
• Number one and most important… Relax and have fun! I do not set time limits on my session so there is no pressure to rush.
• If possible schedule your session around time when baby is usually most sleepy. We want our little ones to sleep as much as possible during our shoot so that they will relax and curl into those cute newborn poses.
• Due to the frequent breaks needed to feed, change, sooth and get baby to fall asleep, newborn shoots often last longer than the average session. Please be prepared for your session to last anywhere between 1 and 4 hours.
• Be patient and remain calm. If baby is cranky and not cooperating please do not worry.
We have plenty of time to allow him/her to get comfortable. If you are stressed baby can feel it!
• Since baby will be undressed for the majority of pictures (unless otherwise requested) we want to make the room as comfortable as possible for him/her. Please turn up your heat a couple degrees a few minutes before I arrive. For your comfort feel you may want to wear shorts and a tank during the pictures you are not in.
• If baby needs to nurse, have a bottle or a diaper change we can take a break at ANY time... We are working on baby time! ;)
• Feel free to have some special mementos ready for the shoot. (ie: handmade blanky from grandma, knitted caps, booties ect.) These are great for making babies 1st pictures even more personalized and special. Also, it can be fun to incorporate mom or dads interest or career into our session as well by using props such as instruments, sports equipment or clothing, Fireman or police gear etc. the sky is the limit so feel free tp be creative and show my ideas you would like me to try to get to incorporate.
• Details - I will often do images of babies little hands and feet. These will look best if his or her nails are trimmed and clean. Also, please be ready to help me keep an eye on your little ones face to ensure boogies or a sleepy do not appear in our portraits.
• Have tidy rooms. Many of baby's pictures will be on a backdrop by a window or door but lighting permitting we may also want to do some shots in baby's room, parents' room or living room ect. Please be prepared and have your home looking the way you would want it to look in pictures just in case.
• Be ready for pee! I don't need to tell you that newborns pee a lot. LOL. Unfortunately, we may get peed on. Have a backup change of clothes for ready yourself in the event that this does occur. Especially if you are in some of the pictures.
• Clothing for mom and dad - Simple is typically best. Wear clothing that is comportable and flatters your figure. For some inspiration check out my “what to wear" Pinterest Board.
• Minimize distractions - Please limit the amount of people present at the shoot to those who are being photographed and/or helping with the children so that there are less distraction for baby. If older siblings will be around, please have an activity planned for the during times that they are not actually in the pictures.
• Absolutely NO cameras at shoot besides mine. It is extremely distracting to both myself and those being photographed.
• You pictures will be ready for your review approx 2-3 weeks after your session. At that time I will contact you to schedule your In Person Viewing and Ordering Session.
• I have some beautiful Birth Announcements. Please let me know if you would like me to create yours!
• Feel free to contact me at any time should you have any additional questions! 704-930-8402 or Melody@SnookySmiles.com