Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Importance of Portraits with Grandma and Grandpa - Lake Norman Photographer

How many portraits do you have of yourself with your grandparents as a child?  
Do you wish you had more?  
Do you treasure the images that you do have?  

My own personal answers would be.. Some but not as many as I would like and YES yes yes I treasure them VERY much!  

My heart smiles every time a client asks to include their parents or in-laws in their upcoming photo shoot.    Every single time I think of my own grandmother with whom I was very very close to.  
She passed when I was 16 but I still think about her constantly.  

A year ago this month Karen, one of my clients who I have come to love very much informed me that her own mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer   She told me that she would like to have her join in the boys next photoshoot so that they (and she) would be able to have some professional images of her with them.  I cried when I read her email and again (much harder this time) when I read her post on facebook  
just three months later that Catherine, her mother had passed.   

I am so happy that we were able to capture these very special grandma - grandson moments of Catherine and her boys and my friend Karen has expressed to me that she will treasure them always.

The purpose of this post is to remind us all how important it is to put aside our own insecurities and just GET IN THOSE PICTURES!!!  Years from now as your children and grandchildren look back at the pictures of the hugs, the kisses and the laughter they will smile and remember the relationship and the love.  Those extra 5 pounds that you want to loose  or that tiny new wrinkle that appeared last week are insignificant.  Wether of not your hair or nails done perfectly are also of no importance.  It only matters that you are here and that you love them.  I promise, you will not regret your decision!


In loving memory of Catherine Nuijens 9/7/43-5/27/13


and here are some other Beautiful Grandmothers and handsome grandfathers that let me convince them to join in the portraits….   some more willing than others.  LOL
Thank you all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment